The forests of the Mount Halimun Massif are the largest tract of true rain forest now remaining on Java. The wide altitudinal range contributes to great habitat diversity. The area's particular importance for wildlife protection was acknowledged on 26 February 1992, when HalimunNational Park was established by Ministry of Forestry decree.
Originally, most of the 40,000 ha was classified as protection forest, declared during the period 1924-1934. The area was slightly enlarged in 1979 when its status changed to that of nature reserve. On 26 May 1992, management and responsibility for the setting up of the new National Park was transferred to the Headquarters of Gede Pangrango National Park.
The park is located between longitudes 106°21' - 106°38' East and latitudes 6°37' - 6°51' South, within the regencies of Bogor, Sukabumi and Lebak. The gazetted area is mountainous, ranging from 500 m to 1,929 m above sea level (a.s.l.). Many peaks lie within the boundary: Halimun 1,929 m, Sanggabuana 1,919 m, Kendeng 1,867 m, Botol 1,785 m, South Kendeng 1,764 m, South Halimun 1,744 m and Amdan 1,463 m.
Apart from the primary function of habitat protection, the National Park plays an important role in supporting regional development and opportunities for research, education, eco-tourism and horticultural activities such as orchid growing.
With the creation of MountHalimunNational Park, the three West Javan Parks (Gede Pangrango, Halimun and Ujung Kulon), taken together, now provide a range of habitats from sea level to the highest peaks. Such conservation planning will help assure a secure future for the rich wildlife of this densely populated province.
In the Gunung Halimun National Park (GHNP) areas there are many kinds of tourist objects, among others are:
The beauty of waterfall attracted either the domestic tourists or the foreign tourists.Generally, waterfalls formed by a piece of earth crust, so the water-flow being cut and it create the waterfall, which flow from the higher land to the lower.
GHNP has many waterfalls (curug), among others are:
- Curug Cimantaja and Curug Cipamulan, located on CikirayVillage, Sub-district of Cikidang and District of Sukabumi.
- Curug Piit (= Curug Cihanjawar), CurugWalet and Curug Cikudapeh, located around Nirmala Tea Plantation.
- Curug Citangkolo, located on MekarjayaVillage, on Sub-district Kabandungan, District Sukabumi
- Curug Ciberang and Curug Cileungsing, located around LeuwijamangVillage, Sub-district Cigudeg.
- Curug Ciarnisah, located around CibedugVillage, Sub-district Citorek.
GunungHalimunNational Park has many MountainPeak with the heights between 700 – 1929 meters above sea level.Some of them have been surveyed.Those are :
- MountNorth Halimun/Halimun Utara, 1929 meters above sea level in the west of GHNP.
- MountKendeng, 1400 meters above sea level in the middle of GHNP
- MountBotol, 1720 meters above sea level in the middle of GHNP
- MountSanggabuana, 1919 meters above sea level in the middle of GHNP
- MountAndam 1436 meters above sea level in the south of GHNP
- MountSouth Halimun/Halimun Selatan, 744 meters above sea level in the south of GHNP
The climbing activity can be developed on track of MountBotol to Mount Halimun Utara (it can be reached from LeuwijamangVillage and Nirmala Tea Plantation), MountKendeng track (can be reached from CiptarasaVillage, Ciraksamala and Tea Plantation).
Halimun Canopy Trail Short Movie
One of the outdoor activities that can be developed in GHNP is camping.Youngsters mostly enjoy this activity.GHNP has developed a location for Camping Ground in Citalahab.Other locations that potential to develop are Cimantaja and around LeuwijamangVillage.
Cibedug temple located about 10 kilometers west of Citorek village.It can be reached about three hours by foot.This small size temple is one of the reminiscent of Hinduism in West Java, about many years ago.Many people and tourist from outside the village come to visit this temple.
MountRock (Gunung Batu) and Cadas Belang
Beside the nature phenomena, like waterfalls and landscape, in GHNP, there are also several location that believed have the spiritual power, so some people come to visit or to find some miracle inspiration (wangsit).
MountBatu consists of rock wall, which located on peak-hill.Sometimes people come to this place for Meditation.MountBatu located on MekarjayaVillage that can be reached about two hours by foot from Cigadog village.
Cadas Belong stands by rock wall located on Mekarjaya village.This location also can use for meditation, because it is believed has a spiritual power.
Research Station and Guests House
Research Station was built to support the research activities around Cikaniki and CitalahabForest.This research station can be used for either domestic researcher or foreign researchers as well they completed the research procedures.
Researchers and tourists can spent the nights in guest house that located on the side of Research Station.The Capacity of guest house are 20 people, with one VIP room, four standard rooms and each room is for four people.The Balai Taman Nasional Gunung Halimun/GHNP manages the research station and the guest house.
Loop trails or tracks which is the round way Cikaniki-Citalahab along 3,8 kilometers.It was built on 1997.These loop trails have been marked up with pal HM, information and interpretation board and shelter.
The loop trails has two alternative tracks which are; Citalahab-Guest House- Citalahab (about 1 km) and Cikaniki-NirmalaTeaPlantation-CitalahabVillage (about 3.8 km).Along the trip we could enjoyed so many interesting flora and fauna e.g. owa, surili , etc.
Canopy walk is the bridges that connecting among canopies of the trees.The canopy walk is 100 meters long, and 6.6 meters wide, with the height 20-30 meters from above land surface.It facilitated with leader.The canopy walk located about 200 meters from Cikaniki Research Station.
How To Get There
The park can be reached from Bogor, Sukabumi and Lebak. The main access routes are :
1. Sukabumi - Parungkuda 20 km/20 minutes by public transport. Parungkuda- Cipeuteuy 30 km/1 hour by public transport.
2. Bogor-Leuwiliang 20 km/30 minutes by public transport. Leuwiliang-Nanggung 15 km/20 minutes by public transport. Nanggung-Cisangku 15 km/ 1 hour by motorcycle.
3. Rangkasbitung-Bayah 150 km/2 hours by public transport. Bayah-Ciparay 36 km/2 hours by public transport including motorcycle.
The charm of the park lies in its relative remoteness, enhanced by the surrounding quiet, rural communities. The road from Cipeuteuy to the Nirmala Tea Estate is a bumpy but reliable all-weather, stone-clad road. It passes through attractive, good quality forest. Strong suspension is amust and four wheel drive comes in very useful. While many of the peripheral tracks are readily accessible, trails deep into the park are not well developed or defined. Hiking to the peaks requires careful planning and advice from park staff should be sought.
1. You must register at the National Park Headquarters, Cibodas (GedePangrangoNational Park) should you wish to climb the mountains :
Monday-Thursday : 07.30-14.30
Friday : 07.30-11.00
Saturday : 07.30-13.30
2. You must submit :
- a photocopy of your valid I.D. card or a parental permit (passport for foreign visitors);
- a travel statement from your local police (Indonesians);
- a health certificate from a physician (Indonesians).
3. A park guard may inspect your belongings and permit before you enter the park.
4. No domestic animals, including pets, are allowed in the park.
5. Do not bring weapons, such as knives, or hunting equipment into the park.
6. Radios and noisy appliances are not allowed in the park and special permission is required for the use of "walkie-talkies".
7. Do not light camp fires or cook using natural vegetation.
8. Do not interfere with, remove, vandalise or otherwise damage park property. This includes writing on stones or trees.
9. Do not pick flowers or pull up plants.
10. Hike only along main trails. Short cuts not only damage the forest but also are very dangerous.
11. Do not drop litter. Carry all your rubbish out of the park.
12. Do not pollute or foul rivers and when bathing do not use soap or other pollutants.
13. Report to the park guard when leaving the park.
14. Alcoholic drinks are not allowed in the park.
Minimum Requirements (mountain climbers and long distance walkers)
Unless climbers are properly equipped they can run into serious trouble.
1. Minimum hiking gear: warm clothes, sleeping bag if staying on the mountain overnight, water-proof clothing, flashlight, compass, whistle and medical kit
2. Carry enough food and drink (non-alcoholic).
Do not climb alone: there should be at least three people in your party and you should be guided by someone with a knowledge of the trail.