HomeBlogs Vredeburg Fortress Vredeburg Fortress was located in Malioboro Street, Yogyakarta City,
Indonesia. Vredeburg Fortress was faced with the Agung Building that was
the Country’s Palace. The Government of Netherlands Colonial built
Vredeburg Fortress the first time during 1760 by the name of the
Rustenberg Fortress or the Rest Fortress. Further during 1765 the
development of this fortress was completed and the name replaced to the
Vredeburg Fortress that meant the Peace Fortress. In several fortress
buildings was gotten hundreds of dioramas that told the struggle for
the Indonesian people in opposing colonizers and seizing independence.
The Vredeburg Fortress became the center of the Yogyakarta Culture
Festival activity that was held every year. Rooms of the available area
in the fortress building were also often used as the place of the
exhibition of the painting.
Vredeburg Fortress was the old
building that became the running witness of the history of the
Indonesian Nation through various function transitions, since the time
of Netherlands Colonial Government till the Government of RI. Since RI
independent, this fortress was utilized as the military post; just
afterwards on 23 November 1992 the functional was changed as the Museum
Khusus Perjuangan Nasional (National Independence Struggle Museum) by
the name of the Museum Benteng (Fortress Museum) that was supervised by
the Tourism Service Management.
Access to Vredeburg Fortress
really was easy. After tourists arrived in the Yogyakarta City, was
walking enough while enjoying Malioboro that was the center of the
Yogyakarta City. Because of the Vredeburg Fortress was located on the
heart of the Yogyakarta City.