Home Jakarta Sion Church
Jl. Pangeran Jayakarta, Jakarta West Jakarta
A more sophisticated church for the Portuguese community was built in 1693, called De Nieuwe Potugeesche Buitenkerk (The New Portuguese Church outside the fort). It was officially opened on October 23, 1695 and was jointly financed by the Portuguese and the Dutch VOC Government. The church, which was later known as the Sion Church, measures 60 by 50 meters and is situated on 6.725 square meters of land. The first sermon was delivered by a priest named Theodorus Zas and was attended by Governor General Van Outhoorn. The Sion Church is characteristically Portuguese with its domed windows, its grand pulpit, its magnificent chairs. The beautifully carved pieces of furniture which adorn the church were made by craftsmen from Formosa (Taiwan). The Sion Church is located on Jl. Pangeran Jayakarta.