Home Karanganyar Sukuh Temple
The Sukuh temple is located in the Village of Berjo, Sub-district of Argoyoso, in the slope of Gunung Lawu 35 Km east of Solo at a height about 910 m above sea level. The temple stretches from the east to the west with the main gate in the west. This kind of construction is common in prehistoric time, especially in the meghalitic era of pundan berundak (terrace grave). The temple consist of three terraces, the first terrace is the lowest level, followed by the second and the third above it. The terrace are connected with stairs to each other, each of it has an entrance gate.
The temple is believed to be constructed in the 15th century during the declining years of Majapahit Empire. The reliefs found beside the first gate are believed had mean (sengkalan) reads Gapura Buta Aban Wong and Gapura Buta Anahut Bubut, meaning the year of 1359 saka or 1437 AD.
The remnants of Sukuh Temple consist of :
Reliefs describe the union of the symbolic male and female sex organs (fertility symbol). It can be found on the gate at the first terrace.
Reliefs describe the Sudhamala and Garuda Stories.
Reliefs describe the hand made iron (Pandai Besi) activities
The main temple is pyramidal
In 1917 there had been an effort to secure and rescue by the office of prehistoric sites of the Netherlands East Indian Government, Then in 1989 the restoration was resumed by the Restoration and Maintenance of Prehistoric and Historic Project in Central Java.
The view surrounding the temple is alluring. The road to this temple with impressive grandeur is surfaced all the way. The structure and the mood of the Lawu Temples is different from other temples in Java, it is built like a Maya stepped pyramid, so it is worth seeing.